Friday, November 13, 2009

My first week as a new (puppy) mom

The first time I remember seeing a french bulldog was in a commercial for a vacuum cleaner on TV when I was in highschool. I knew right away that I wanted to own one sometime down the road. A has been listening to me talk about wanting one the entire time we've been together, so in the spirit of shutting me up...he took me to get my very own 8 week old puppy on Sunday. She was a very generous gift from him and my family and friends for my birthday. 


Lilo


French bulldogs are a great breed for people that live in apartments and want a dog that will be content living inside for the most part. They are known for their fun personalities and affectionate behavior. They do have their quirks but from what I have read I think that she will be a great fit for me.

I grew up having pets but I've haven't owned one since moving out of the house when I was 18. 6 years later I feel like I'm ready for the responsibility of having a pet in my life.

Honestly, I'm not sure how people have real live children. All I have done since I've brought her home is worry about what she could choke on while I'm at work. It's lame. I know. I'm told by my (much more intelligent) boyfriend that she is just a dog and I should stop treating her like a person. 

Yeah.I'm sure that will happen.

So this week has been our first week together and I feel like we have already accomplished allot. Lilo spent her first night in her kennel on the floor last night, after a few nights of sleeping with me in the bed. She's learning that crying (although it breaks my heart at times) isn't going to get her out so I think she has accepted sleeping there and will make the best of it. It will be a much more comfortable place for her in the long run.

Our morning routine consists of her barking at me while I'm trying to take a shower and then sitting on my feet while I get ready. She only barks as a way of communication, in kind of a "Pay attention to me now!!" way.

Our next challenges will include potty training but I plan on taking that one in strides. For now, I'm letting her get used to her new home and family. So far we are having a blast with her. 




Her right ear also stood up all the way this week (you can see in the above photo that it was almost there). 

They grow up so fast...
  

0 comments: