Monday, March 8, 2010

Southwestern Baked Chicken and Zucchini

I found a great recipe via my palm pre app that's called "what's for dinner?". It's great because I can type in ingredients and it pulls up recipes. This one was super easy and came out great. I improvised a little but mostly stuck to the directions.

Ingredients:

  • 4 chicken breasts
  • southwest seasoning (Emerils is a good brand)
  • 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, divided
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons chopped green chilies
  • 2 medium zucchini, unpeeled
  • Shredded mexican cheese
So I forgot to buy green chilies but I added some chopped red bell pepper and chopped fresh jalapeno (both of which were in my fridge) and they worked just fine. 

The southwestern seasoning I made myself from the recipe that I also pulled from the app


Emerils Southwest Seasoning

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
A good reason to save your empty seasoning containers, just make sure you label them afterwards :) 

So once I preheated my oven to 350, I followed the directions pretty closely.

First you slice the zucchini and lay it in the bottom of a baking dish(the recipe calls for a 9x13 but something close to this works just as good) then you pour 1 cup of the enchilada sauce over it. Lay the chicken breast on top and sprinkle with the southwestern seasoning. Next pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the chicken and add the chopped veggies. 

This is what mine looked like at this point


Pop it in the oven and cook it for about an hour, about 50 to 55 minutes in you can add the cheese and let it melt.

When it's done your home will smell wonderful and you will have something that looks similar to this to eat for dinner....

Yummy!
                                      


My roommate wasn't the only one excited about dinner being ready...although in this case the excitement was in vain...

"Is that for me mom??"

Sorry bug, that's for mom and Auntie Krust. 

0 comments: